Re: pg_dump on older version of postgres eating huge amounts of memory - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: pg_dump on older version of postgres eating huge amounts of memory
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 07:37:54PM -0500, Steve Krall wrote:

> I'm in a bit of a bad spot.  We have a number of remotely deployed
> postgres servers.  We are very happy with the depenability of postgres,
> but have recently run into a problem with pg_dump in SOME of the servers.
>
> When doing a pg_dump databasename > file.dmp pg_dump eats up all the
> memory, and is eventually killed because it takes
> up a huge amount of memory.  The dump file is always 0 bytes.  It works
> perfectly fine on our other server.

The only reason I can remember pg_dump running out of memory was when
using the -d or -D options on large tables. This used to be an issue
but has long since been fixed.

If this is the problem, you can use a 7.4 pg_dump against a 7.1
database, the output migh not be reloadable into a 7.1 DB though.

Or don't use -d or -D.

Or this is not the problem at all...

Hope this helps,
> If the Catholic church can survive the printing press, science fiction
> will certainly weather the advent of bookwarez.
>    http://craphound.com/ebooksneitherenorbooks.txt - Cory Doctorow

Attachment