Re: ERROR: column "ctid" does not exist - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Jeff Eckermann
Subject Re: ERROR: column "ctid" does not exist
Date
List pgsql-odbc
--- "George T. Gibson" <gtgibson@jbstamping.com>
wrote:
> I am trying to access PostgreSQL from Openoffice
> using iodbc on Linux
>
> When trying to look at any views I get ERROR: column
> "ctid" does not exist.
>
> Any suggestions?

Every table contains a few system columns, including
"ctid", which identifies the storage location of the
record (IIRC).  Normally these system columns are not
visible when you list a tables columns, but you can
select them.

The PostgreSQL ODBC driver uses the "ctid" as a unique
identifier for a record.

AFAIK there is no reason why you could not just add
"ctid" to your select list in your view definition.

Note that using the ctid as an identifier in an
application is not a good idea, as the ctid value for
a particular record could change over time.

majordomo@postgresql.org)