Re: Comparison of PGSQL and DB2 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jonathan Gardner
Subject Re: Comparison of PGSQL and DB2
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tuesday 09 March 2004 10:22 am, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Automatic Summary Tables
> > (Transparently provide the pre-aggregation/summarization of data to
> > dramatically improve the performance of transactions or queries that
> > require such data.)
>
> Under development, possibily available with 7.5.   These are otherwise
> know as "materialized views".

It is certainly possible to implement Materialized Views in PostgreSQL -- we
are using them for RedWeek.com right now. I wrote a page about the
experience, and I am currently working with a version 2 of the document.

As far as a "CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW" syntax, and generic functions to do
any MV, those don't exist and probably won't in time for 7.5.

--
Jonathan Gardner
jgardner@jonathangardner.net