Re: The big MySQL spin - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: The big MySQL spin
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Yea, you are right.  We just try to make it look like a democracy, and a
> damn good job at it.  :-)

Apparently too good :)  Actually, if you think the MySQL/JBoss guys got
the democracy thing out of your papers, you *might* want to re-word them
to put forth the 'benevalent oligarchy' perceptions vs democracy ... to be
honest, I think the major mistake that the article had in it *was* that it
label'd OSS as generally democratic ... in most cases, it isn't ...

FreeBSD has a 'core', Linux has Linus ... there is always a "controlling
power" at the top of the food chain ... whether or not they impose their
will often (or ever) is another story, but its still there ...

Myself, I tend to think of OSS more in terms of "the Corporation" ... the
core is the board of directors who *generally* stay out of the day-to-day
operations, but tends to oversee much of it in case something got awry ...

----