Re: The big MySQL spin - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: The big MySQL spin
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 08:15, Peter Galbavy wrote:
> Claudio Natoli wrote:
> >> Benevolent oligarchy is the term you want.
> >
> > Oligarchic technocracy?
>
> Oligarchic Meritocracy ?

Certainly you've hit an important point in the discussion bringing up
meritocracy. With PostgreSQL, people's ability to shape the
direction/features of PostgreSQL is based on the merits of their work
and/or ideas, and the ascent to positions of control follow the same
path. With something like my$ql, ascent to a position of power is not
given from the community, but must be obtained from the corporation.
my$ql may say they are a republic / representative democracy, but given
that one party controls who all the candidates are there isn't much need
for voting...

Robert Treat