Re: Data Corruption in case of abrupt failure - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: Data Corruption in case of abrupt failure
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 04:27:33 -0800,
  satish satish <satish_ach2003@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to do some reliability tests on postgre SQL. I have use-case where the power can go off abruptly. I
initiated10,000 insert operations and pulled out the cable in the middle. I had auto-commit option turned on. I
observed2 out of 5 times the tables were totally corrupted and could not read any data whereas 3 times I was able to
readthe data which was inserted.

> Is there any way that I could avoid that data corruption and ensure that atleast the records inserted till that point
areavailable in the database. Or are there any tools through which I can recover the data in case the database gets
corrupted?

Are you using IDE disks with write caching enabled? If so that is probably
your problem.