Re: PHP on slackware - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: PHP on slackware
Date
List pgsql-general
On Saturday 06 March 2004 03:09, Shawn Harrison wrote:
> Shridhar,
>
> I've been running Slackware 9.0 for about a year and have been pretty
> happy, but -- as with any distribution -- I have had to compile when I
> wanted something that was not provided.

I know. But the problem is you need to adjust so many parameters so that n
number of subsystems work correct. That is why I rely upon distributions.
Otherwise I would have been running LFS by now..

I like slack. But it's support for postgresql is pathetic. Installing
postgresql in itself is easy for me but php.. oops.. that is bit too
complicated to get it correct first time..

> Generally speaking, any time you want to make a custom setup that someone
> else didn't anticipate, you have to run the compiler. Please remember, the
> developers of Slackware (and every other piece of OpenSource software) are
> providing a free service. They deserve nothing but praise for giving their
> work away.

If you tell me a mailing list where slackware is discussed I would get their
and offer my services for enabling postgresql in every possible way.

I haven't found it where contents of next slack version is discussed.
Slackware still ships with 2.4.x kernels. 2.6 is still not there in current.
Still it ships linuxthreads while every other distro. on earth including
debian has NPTL at least in testing branch.. Certainly I would like to
discuss and contribute about these things..

> Also, if they included every possible option in the pre-compiled binary
> packages, those packages would become unreasonably large and inefficient.
> So they include only the most common options.

I would have bought that argument but I don't think including postgresql
support would bloat their distro. Just a personal opinion..

> I suggest rolling up your sleeves:
>
> -- download the PHP tarball (from the PHP project page),

I did. My bigger worry was to get php config right. Fortunately php -i is a
wonderful option and I got everything I needed there..

For the record, I configured it as follows, for a CVS tip postgresql build

./configure --prefix=/usr --with-apxs --enable-force-cgi-redirect
--enable-fastcgi --sysconfdir=/etc
--enable-discard-path --with-config-file-path=/etc/apache --enable-safe-mode
--with-openssl
--enable-bcmath --with-bz2 --with-pic --enable-calendar --enable-ctype
--with-gdbm
--with-db3 --enable-dbase --enable-ftp --with-iconv --with-gd
--enable-gd-native-ttf --with-jpeg-dir=/usr
--with-png --with-gmp --with-mysql=shared,/usr --with-xml=shared,/usr
--with-gettext=shared,/usr
--with-mm=/usr --enable-trans-sid --enable-shmop --enable-sockets
--with-regex=php
--enable-sysvsem --enable-sysvshm --enable-yp --enable-memory-limit
--with-tsrm-pthreads
--enable-shared --disable-debug --with-zlib=/usr
--with-pgsql=shared,/usr/local

Then
- make. took 2 minutes 10 sec..:-)
- Quick checkinstall
- copy php.ini-dist to /etc/apache
- set the extension path correctly
to /usr/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20020429/
- enable postgresql extension.
- restart apache..

 And I am up.. Thanks for all the help..It was much needed..

This wasn't a crib against slack any more than not giving me a choice in a
otherwise beautiful distro. Just couldn't help it..

 Shridhar