connection problem - why idle - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From dinakar
Subject connection problem - why idle
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Hi All,

 We have hosted an web application and now it is live.

 s/w used : Apache, Tomcat 4.1.x, Postgresql 7.x

 It seems that there is a major problem with the
database connectivity.

 What we are seeing is that over a period of time the
database reports more and more connections from the
our web application until the connection limit (100 on
our setup) is reached.

this is a sample code i am using across application.

whether we need to release the connection explicitly ?

As of now i have not released the connection only i
have closed it .... ?

/*****************************************************/

       -------------my db class-----------------
try {

    this.setConnection(ConnectionPool.getConnection());
    ArrayList arrList = new ArrayList();

    con.setAutoCommit(false);
    preStmt     = con.prepareStatement("SELECT * from t");
    resultSet     = preStmt.executeQuery();

    while (resultSet.next()) {
    }
    return arrList;
}
catch(Exception ex) {
    sberror.append(ex.getMessage());
    return null;
}

finally {
    try {
        con.setAutoCommit(true);
        resultSet.close();
        preStmt.close();
        con.close();
    }
    catch (SQLException e) {
           sberror.append(e.getMessage());
        return null;
    }
}

      -----------my Connectionpool class-----------

public static Connection getConnection() {

    Connection con = null;
    javax.sql.DataSource ds;
    try {
        ds = (DataSource)
ctx.lookup("java:comp/env/jdbc/postgres");
        if (ds != null) {
            con = ds.getConnection();
        }
        else