Re: Setting up Postgresql on Linux - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paul Thomas
Subject Re: Setting up Postgresql on Linux
Date
List pgsql-general
On 05/03/2004 15:58 phil campaigne wrote:
> Thanks Tom,
> I originally set installed Postgresql as rpm with the Red Hat 8
> installation.  I upgraded using source and it put things in different
> directories.  I think that this is the source of my problem.
>
> However, I think the updated version of Postgresql is not teh one the
> system is trying to use:
>

>> That says that when you say "psql", the system is trying to run the psql
>> from /usr/bin with the libpq.so from /usr/local/pgsql/lib.
>
> Is there a way tell the system to run psql with the libpq.so from
> /usr/local/pgsql/lib?
> thanks,
> Phil

IMO, your best bet is to the following (you'll need to root btw):

0) stop the postmaster if it's running

1) un-install the version of pg you just compiled (make uninstall)

2) install the postgresql-devel RPM (from memory, I think it's on binary
CD3)

3) use the output of pg_config --configure to get the options which the RH
version was compiled wit

4) run configure again with exactly those options then make, make install.

5) edit /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql and change pg version if needed (there
may be several places where it needs changing)

6) delete or rename /var/lib/pgsql/data

7) /sbin/service postgresql start

8) su postgres

9) create users...

--
Paul Thomas
| Thomas Micro Systems Limited | Software Solutions for
Business             |
| Computer Consultants         |