Re: PostgreSQL in Cluster - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: PostgreSQL in Cluster
Date
List pgsql-general
On Friday 27 February 2004 20:13, Luiz Guilherme Freitas de Paula wrote:
> Is there any way to use PostgreSQL in a cluster configuration or have
> redundancy?

Well, you don't say much about your hardware, usage patterns etc. but you
might want look at the various replication options currently available.

There's one in the source distribution: contrib/dbmirror.
Or perhaps erserver/rservimp on gborg.postgresql.org

> How can I have my DB to not stop on hardware failure?

I don't know of anyone doing instant fail-over to a secondary machine. You
might want to consider the following:

1. External, shared RAID drives (note that you *MUST NOT* run two versions of
PG against the same files)
2. Duplicate machines with replication and one of the "heartbeat+failover"
options (free or commercial)
3. Commercial high-availability hardware (I know - too expensive)

Can't say much more without knowing what you want. Whatever path you decide to
take, do a proper risk assessment first and allow time to understand the
systems involved and too proper testing.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd