Re: check for user validity - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: check for user validity
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 22:17:14 -0500,
  Alexander Cohen <alex@toomuchspace.com> wrote:
> I know in advance all the information a user to start up a connection
> to postgres and do queries. I would like to be able to check and see if
> that user will be able to connect with his current crudentials. Is this
> at all possible? If so, how?

Try to connect to the database as them and see whether or not the
connection is successful.

To do this in general without trying to connect you will need to have knowledge
about the contents of pg_hba.cong and pg_ident.conf. If you know that they
will have access to the database and the application is running as a
postgres superuser, you can check a username and password by looking at
pg_shadow.