Re: Known issue with Reindex-based corruption? - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Known issue with Reindex-based corruption?
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Tom,

> One question that comes to mind is were you reindexing a system or user
> table?

User.

> Another is whether you were using disks that lie about write
> completion (SCSI vs IDE)?

First thing I thought of.   Haven't been able to verify, yet.

The basic symptoms are:
1) Machine stated scheduled REINDEX.
2) Unexpected power-out
3) On reboot, we have 2 different versions of the index file on disk,
one with 0 bytes.   Attempts to use the index (via SELECT) result in
statement-fatal errors.

I'm waiting on more data.   For now, I was wondering whether there was a known
issue with WAL recovery on indexes in 7.2.4.   Neil thought there was.

--
-Josh Berkus

                                        Josh Berkus
   Complete information technology     josh@agliodbs.com
    and data management solutions     (415) 565-7293
   for law firms, small businesses      fax 651-9224
    and non-profit organizations.     San Francisco