Re: REINDEX issues - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: REINDEX issues
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 06:43:11PM +0000, Sally Sally wrote:
> I just started a REINDEX on a non-system table because I was getting
> "failed to re-find parent key" while analyzing. I realized a little too
> late that the docs said the pg server should have been running as a
> standalone. Is this something I should worry about? It's taking a bit of a
> while too!

Nope. REINDEX on a non-system table is not a problem. You can do that
anything, though it does lock the table.

On system tables you need to be standalone, but then it wouldn't have
let you do it accedently.

Big tables take a while to index. About as long as:

select fieldname from table order by 1;
> If the Catholic church can survive the printing press, science fiction
> will certainly weather the advent of bookwarez.
>    http://craphound.com/ebooksneitherenorbooks.txt - Cory Doctorow

Attachment