Re: Why does app fail? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: Why does app fail?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Paul Simpson wrote:

> I have downloaded it, thanks.
>  I'm not sure about this "foldtoupper" idea (particularly as they are
> also talking about leaving the tablenames alone in the system tables.
>
>  What I don't understand is why the system can't be told simply to be
> case sensitive. That way, if a table is created as MyTaBlE then it is
> called MyTaBlE without requiring quotes, or am I missing something here?

It could, but I think that'd be even further from spec complience than
what we do now (fold to lowercase). Foldtoupper should provide a setting
that is not backward compatible with postgresql versions but meets the SQL
spec for handling unquoted names.