Re: plug-n-play MS SQL Server replacement - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: plug-n-play MS SQL Server replacement
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Chris,

> Most conspicuously, MySQL is most likely an imitator of Sybase
> (progenitor of the code that Microsoft sells) in having
> "autoincrementing columns" as compared to PostgreSQL's notion of
> "sequence objects."

Nope.   AUTO_INCREMENT is in the SQL 99 spec.    It's actually well-supported
in the industry.   Eventually we'll probably come up with a command to
emulate it using sequences so that we can have the SQL-compliance points.

Mind you, AUTO_INCREMENT is one of those things that the SQL committee screwed
up on, like the INTERVAL type.

And don't know Sybase, it's a pretty good system with some features we could
do worse than steal.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions