Re: Quad Xeon vs. Dual Itanium - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Quad Xeon vs. Dual Itanium
Date
Re: Quad Xeon vs. Dual Itanium  ("scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com>)
Re: Quad Xeon vs. Dual Itanium  (Mark Kirkwood <markir@paradise.net.nz>)
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 12:46:58PM -0500, Christopher Browne wrote:
> Lots of people have been running it on 64 bit systems for _years_ now.
> The Digital Alpha architecture, for instance, was introduced in the
> 1992, and Sun UltraSPARC in 1995.  PostgreSQL has been running well on
> these sorts of systems for a lot of years now.

But actually, there are problems with using postgres as a 64 bit
application on Solaris.  It works, and it's reliable, but I've never
seen any evidence that it helps anything (and I've looked plenty).

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
In the future this spectacle of the middle classes shocking the avant-
garde will probably become the textbook definition of Postmodernism.
                --Brad Holland