Re: Quad Xeon vs. Dual Itanium - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: Quad Xeon vs. Dual Itanium
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 12:46:58PM -0500, Christopher Browne wrote:
> > Lots of people have been running it on 64 bit systems for _years_ now.
> > The Digital Alpha architecture, for instance, was introduced in the
> > 1992, and Sun UltraSPARC in 1995.  PostgreSQL has been running well on
> > these sorts of systems for a lot of years now.
>
> But actually, there are problems with using postgres as a 64 bit
> application on Solaris.  It works, and it's reliable, but I've never
> seen any evidence that it helps anything (and I've looked plenty).

I wonder if this would hold true when running 64 bit linux on Sparc
hardware...  Could well be that the reason 64 bit is no faster than 32 bit
is that Solaris is just not a very fast platform for Postgresql, so any
improvements running 64 bit pgsql are lost in the Solaris/Postgresql mix.