Re: Join query on 1M row table slow - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Join query on 1M row table slow
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tuesday 10 February 2004 19:51, CSN wrote:
> I have a pretty simple select query that joins a table
> (p) with 125K rows with another table (pc) with almost
> one million rows:
>
> select p.*
> from product_categories pc
> inner join products p
> on pc.product_id = p.id
> where pc.category_id = $category_id
> order by p.title
> limit 25
> offset $offset
>
> The query usually takes about five seconds to execute
> (all other PG queries perform fast enough). I have
> indexes on everything needed, and EXPLAIN shows
> they're being used. Is there anything else I can do to
> improve performance - such as tweaking some settings
> in the config?

Quite possibly - I'd suggest:
1. Read "Performance Tuning" and the "Annotated conf file" at
http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/index.php
2. Vacuum analyze the tables concerned and post the output of EXPLAIN ANALYSE
with your query.
3. Next time, try the -performance list - probably get a faster response
there.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd