Re: CVS HEAD compile failure on Freebsd 4.9 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: CVS HEAD compile failure on Freebsd 4.9
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Vsevolod Lobko <seva@sevasoft.kiev.ua> writes:
> > Yes, here too...
> > There are no headers included for struct timeval and function select
> > in miscadmin.h
>
> Certain parties who shall remain nameless have been gratuitously
> scattering dependencies on select() into lots of modules that don't
> need them.  (When you are about to call the kernel to implement a
> multi-millisecond delay, there is no value in saving a nanosecond
> by inlining the code for it...)  I plan to fix that later tonight
> if no one beats me to it.

The scattering isn't actually from Win32, which is where I thought it
came from.  It is from the PG_DELAY call that was added with:revision 1.137date: 2003/11/13 14:57:15;  author: wieck;
state:Exp;  lines: +8 -12nd try for the ARC strategy.I added a couple more Assertions while tracking down the
exactcauseof the former bug.All 93 regression tests pass now.Jan

What Win32 has done is to centralize all delay calls around that
function, now renamed PG_USLEEP/PG_MSLEEP.  I was going to add the
missing includes but if you want to centralize it, I think that makes
more sense.

Pennsylvania19073