BUG #1075: ecpg rejects C keywords in SQL context - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From PostgreSQL Bugs List
Subject BUG #1075: ecpg rejects C keywords in SQL context
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      1075
Logged by:          Bob Showalter

Email address:      bob_showalter@taylorwhite.com

PostgreSQL version: 7.4

Operating system:   FreeBSD 4.8

Details:

ecpg 3.1.0
PostgreSQL 7.4.1
FreeBSD 4.8 on i386
gcc version 2.95.4 20020320 [FreeBSD]

ecpg seems to erroneously treat C keywords as errors in a SQL context. I
discovered this after upgrading to 7.4 and compiling an existing program
that refers to a column in one of my tables called "auto". The program
compiles successfully on 7.3.

Here's a simple one-line illustration of the problem:

  $ echo 'exec sql select auto from foo;' >temp.pgc
  $ ecpg temp.pgc
  temp.pgc:1: ERROR: syntax error at or near "auto"

I would think that quoting the identifier would allow it to work:

   exec sql select "auto" from foo;

but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

If I comment out the call to ScanCKeyword() at line 584 of
src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc/pgc.l, the example above will compile
succesfully.