Re: how can I select into an array? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andy Kriger
Subject Re: how can I select into an array?
Date
List pgsql-general
this is a followup to my original message for anyone else stuck on older psql versions...

i wrote a function to accomplish selecting into an array which works in 7.2.1
you will need to 'createlang plpgsql' (see the docs on procedural languages) before you can use it
it takes a SQL query as an arg and returns an array aggregated from the result column named 'arrayval'
it is written to work with varchars but could easily be modified to work with other data types

-- create an array from the results of a query
-- query must return a column named arrayval
-- $1 = query string
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION array_query(VARCHAR)
RETURNS VARCHAR[]
AS '
DECLARE
    query ALIAS FOR $1;
    rec RECORD;
    str VARCHAR;
    arr VARCHAR[];
BEGIN
    FOR rec IN EXECUTE query LOOP
        str := str || ''"'' || rec.arrayval || ''"'' || '','';
    END LOOP;
    str := str || ''}'';
    SELECT INTO arr str;
    RETURN arr;