Re: functional index "real world" uses - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: functional index "real world" uses
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 12:29:07AM +0700, David Garamond wrote:

> * creating a REVERSE_DOT(field) function for IP addresses and hostnames
> to allow wildcard searches (*.yahoo.com) using 'REVERSE_DOT(f) LIKE
> 'com.yahoo.%'.

I know a local telco company (hum, is this RAS syndrome?) uses this,
reversing phone numbers, so they allow search by prefix and suffix.

"Right now the sectors on the hard disk run clockwise, but I heard a rumor that
you can squeeze 0.2% more throughput by running them counterclockwise.
It's worth the effort. Recommended."  (Gerry Pourwelle)