Re: Resize varchar column - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Resize varchar column
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wednesday 04 February 2004 16:00, John Sidney-Woollett wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III said:
> > In general (in 7.4.x) you can change data types using add, drop, rename
> > and a query to copy/translate the data. This will have the side effect of
> > making the updated column the last column when using * to refer to the
> > table's columns.
>
> I'll take a look at the system catalogs - thanks for the tip.
>
> > It is possible to change the size of varchar data by updating the system
> > catalogs. I don't know the exact details of what to do, but the
> > instructions should be in the archives (multiple times).
>
> I was hoping to avoid a column drop and recreate.

The message (one of them anyway) you want is:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2001-10/msg01208.php

Try and find something more recent though, in case anything important has
changed. Oh, and do take Tom's advice about the backup.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd