Re: [pgsql-advocacy] MySQL+InnoDB vs. PostgreSQL test? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jeff
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] MySQL+InnoDB vs. PostgreSQL test?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 11:46:05 -0500
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Jeff <threshar@torgo.978.org> writes:
> > Not sure at what point it will topple, in my case it didn't matter
> > if it ran good with 5 clients as I'll always have many more clients
> > than 5.
>
> I did some idle, very unscientific tests the other day that indicated
> that MySQL insert performance starts to suck with just 2 concurrent
> inserters.  Given a file containing 10000 INSERT commands, a single
> mysql client ran the file in about a second.  So if I feed the file
> simultaneously to two mysqls in two shell windows, it should take
> about two seconds total to do the 20000 inserts, right?  The observed
> times were 13 to 15 seconds.  (I believe this is with a MyISAM table,
> since I just said CREATE TABLE without any options.)

MyISAM is well known to suck if you update/insert/delete because it
simply aquires a full table lock when you perform those operations!

InnoDB is supposed to be better at that.

So your results are fairly in line with what you should see.

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/