Re: HELP! Passwords stuck in passwd file! - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: HELP! Passwords stuck in passwd file!
Date
List pgsql-admin
Michael Allman wrote:
> I am migrating from 7.2 -> 7.4.  I can't figure out how to move the
> crypt()'ed passwords I made with pg_password utility into the pg_shadow
> table.  All I can find in the documentation is (in 7.3 release notes)
>
>  Remove secondary password file capability and pg_password utility
>   (Bruce)

If I remember correctly, you can't.  We now perfer MD5, where we can
store the information encrypted in the database, and use random salt
over the wire.

We cant unencrypt the crypt values so unfortunately you have to reenter
them.  You can do it using ALTER USER now.