Re: Clarify libpq docs - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Clarify libpq docs
Date
List pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:
> > Please don't put tabs in SGML files.
>
> That's a new one on me.  Why should we avoid tabs?  The existing
> files are certainly full of them.

Those are just the files that I haven't edited recently and gave the old
"M-x untabify" treatment...

I ask that tabs be avoided for two reasons: One, we use a one-character
indentation in the source, so it's no use that only every 8th
indentation level is made by a tab, it's just annoying when you're
editing.  (The only other indentation scheme for SGML/XML that I see
used is two spaces, so I don't think going to 4 or 8 spaces is in
question.)  Two, when rendering, the tabs have questionable meaning.
In HTML they are treated like a single space, who knows what they mean
in a PDF with variable width fonts.