BUG #1065: JDBC DataSource Serializability - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From PostgreSQL Bugs List
Subject BUG #1065: JDBC DataSource Serializability
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      1065
Logged by:          R. Lemos

Email address:      rslemos@nce.ufrj.br

PostgreSQL version: 7.4

Operating system:   Linux

Details:

The JDBC2 pooled datasource(org.postgresql.jdbc2.optional.ConnectionPool),
although implements java.io.Serializable, cannot be correctly serialized.
Its superclass does not implement java.io.Serializable and have important
fields marked as private.

Either should the superclass be Serializable or its fields non-private
(protected, friend or public).

To reproduce the issue just create and setup a ConnectionPool, serialize and
desserialize it (ByteArray*Stream will do). The new object doesn't have the
properties correctly set.

This may apply to other DataSource implementations (JDBC3 and non-pooled).

PS: I could have corrected this and submitted the patch, but I don't know
why are those properties private nor why isn't the superclass Serializable,
so I could not preview the impact those changes would make.