Re: cvsignore - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: cvsignore
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dennis Bjorklund wrote:
> Still, if it doesn't bother anyone and it does help me, then I don't
> see why not.

Well, I think a lot of people would be bothered by the idea of you
maintaining a copy of what will amount to a list of all files.  Even
more people will be bothered by the idea that they would have to help
maintaining it if they add or remove files.

> I just noticed that there already are some .cvsignore files in the
> cvs tree.

The files listed in those files have to be built in the source tree for
various reasons even if you configure a separate build directory.  So
the .cvsignore files serve to get clean cvs diffs if you use a separate
build directory.