Re: Parsing bug? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mike Nolan
Subject Re: Parsing bug?
Date
List pgsql-general
> Doesn't look like a bug to me.  As far as I know only aggregation functions
> can occur in a select with group by for columns that are not in the group by
> clause.

I left out the 'count(*)' column, because the query fails with or without it.

The reason I think it may be an error is that if I include either of the
columns it works, but not if I include both of them.

To recap, the first two queries below work, the third does not:

OK:    select substr(memid,1,1) as memtp, count(*) from memmast
       group by memtp

OK:    select substr(memid,2,4) as newx, count(*) from memmast
       group by newx

FAIL:  select substr(memid,1,1) as memtp, substr(memid,2,4) as newx,
       count(*) from memmast group by memtp, newx
--
Mike Nolan