Re: Crystal Reports 8, psqlODBC driver and stored procedures - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Crystal Reports 8, psqlODBC driver and stored procedures
Date
List pgsql-odbc
On Tuesday 20 January 2004 19:38, anthony@childers.com wrote:
> Richard,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
> What I am trying to say is, does SETOF integer get returned as a single
> recordset? or is each integer returned as a separate recordset? If it is a
> single recordset, should proretset be TRUE?

SETOF integer returns a recordset containing zero or more integers. Since this
is a SET proretset is True (the PROcedure RETurns a SET).
If you call it as SELECT * FROM function_name() then proretset should be true
(if I understand things correctly).

> Further reading on what Crystal Reports requires can be found here:
> http://support.businessobjects.com/communityCS/TechnicalPapers/scr_oracle_s
>tored_procedures.pdf

Hmm - looks fiddly with Oracle. That bit on page 11 where it mentions the
Database Expert dlg-box and the Stored Procedures node - PG's set returning
functions aren't occuring there - have I got that right?

> This document is for Oracle and talks about using cursors to get the job
> done. I have tried this too but have had no luck. A DBfunction that returns
> type refcursor does not exhibit the same behavior as I described previously
> (because proretset=FALSE) but it still does not get added to the Crystal
> Report.
>
> How compatible are PG Cursors with Oracle?

What matters, I suspect is how compatible an ODBC cursor is between Oracle and
PG. I don't know, but if Crystal just reads sequentially, I would be
surprised if they looked *very* different from an ODBC app.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd