Re: Left joins with multiple tables - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard Poole
Subject Re: Left joins with multiple tables
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 02:30:01AM +0000, Colin Fox wrote:

> For each person in the people table, they may or may not have a record in
> a, may or may not have a record in b, and may or may not have a record in
> c.

> But I'd like to be able to do something like:
>
> select
>     id, name, a.field1, b.field2, c.field3
> from
>     people p left outer join a on a.person_id = p id,
>     people p left outer join b on b.person_id = p.id,
>     people p left outer join c on c.person_id = p.id;

You can just chain the joins and the Right Thing will happen:

SELECT id, name, a.field1, b.field2, c.field3
FROM people p LEFT OUTER JOIN a ON (p.id = a.person_id) LEFT OUTER JOIN a ON (p.id = b.person_id) LEFT OUTER JOIN a ON
(p.id= c.person_id)

I'm not sure that this behaviour is mandated by the SQL standard;
a certain other popular open source database-like product interprets
the same construction differently. But it does do what you want in
postgres.

Richard