Re: embedded/"serverless" (Re: serverless postgresql) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: embedded/"serverless" (Re: serverless postgresql)
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 02:00:35PM -0800, Jonathan Bartlett wrote:

> having PG as an embedded database have never used one.  I think Tom, for
> example, has been focusing on enterprise-level applications too much to
> think about the personal applications, and Chris, I'm going to guess

This seems to suggest that Postgres should focus on something other
than enterprise-level applications, and (presumably) on something
else.

Frankly, I am _mighty glad_ that the developers are focussed on
enterprise-level applications.  That's what makes Postgres eligible
to back enterprise-level software.  Applications that try to do
everything for everyone tend to end up doing nothing very well.  I
don't think one needs to look too hard to discover examples of that
phenomenon.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
This work was visionary and imaginative, and goes to show that visionary
and imaginative work need not end up well.
        --Dennis Ritchie