Re: best practice for use of functions.. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: best practice for use of functions..
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thursday 15 January 2004 03:50, Allen Landsidel wrote:
> Aren't there some caveats to this related to transactions?  I've been
> working under the strong (I think I read.. heh) impression that
> transactions cannot be nested, in 7.3 at least..
>
> This would lead me to believe if the 'main' function called another that
> failed and thus issued a rollback, would that not rollback the entire
> meta-transaction, for lack of a better word?

"multi-statement transaction" might be the better word. Now need a better word
for "a bunch of words strung together" ;-)

You're correct, but in this case Chris was doing a batch of inserts in the
same transaction anyway, so that's what he wants.
--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd