Re: insertion with trigger failed unexpectedly - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: insertion with trigger failed unexpectedly
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tuesday 13 January 2004 10:36, Anton.Nikiforov@loteco.ru wrote:
> Hello Tom,
> Here is a function code (i changed only my real IPs, just in case) :)
> They were in place of 10.0.0.0/24 networks, all the rest including
> 192.168.0/16 is true values.
> I have checked alot of times and looks like testing and live
> environment are the same, the only thing that differ that insertion
> tool (that is getting plain values from stdin and inserting them into
> the table) is being run from cron daemon.
> All the rest is the same.
> Update Failed error happening not in exacxt time, but randomly.
> Currently i removed a trigger from the table definition and all
> records being inserted just fine with no looses.
> The additional problem is that the TRIGGER defined as AFTER INSERT
> that means that the record should appear in the raw table anyway, but
> it is not happened.

So - the error is that occasionally, some values aren't entered in the raw
table nor summarised in the daily table?

Does your live insertion code check the result-code from PG? If the insert is
failing, it should say so.

I'd suspect some concurrency issues, but I can't see anything obvious. Testing
for this is a pain, but it produces exactly these kind of problems. Try
running 5 test processes at once, all inserting simultaneously and see if
that reproduces your problem.

If no-one else has a bright idea, I'll try running it with some test data on
my end this afternoon (London time) if I get a chance.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd