Re: what we need to use postgresql in the enterprise - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Eckermann
Subject Re: what we need to use postgresql in the enterprise
Date
List pgsql-general

#1 & #3 both refer to the same thing, i.e. nested
transactions.  Alvaro Herrera has been working on this
for some time, and recently stated on (I think) the
pgsql-hackers list that he intended to have nested
transactions ready for the next release of PostgreSQL.
 On the other hand, Tom Lane recently responded to a
question about nested transactions by warning about
the complexity of the problems needing to be overcome
to make that happen, and expressing doubt about an
early solution.  So you could say that the status is
unclear.  A question on the -hackers list would
probably get more information.

Agreed that Oracle-style exception handling in
pl/pgsql would be a good thing.  If I understand
things correctly, the new error codes scheme in
PostgreSQL version 7.4 makes that easier to implement
than before.  But I am not aware of anyone working on
it.

*** Note To Developers ***
Adding Oracle-style exception handling to pl/pgsql
would greatly ease the migration path from Oracle to
PostgreSQL, and could easily result in many more
instances of Postgres being used for enterprise apps
that are now using Oracle.  But I'm not up to the
task, so I'm flagging it here for anyone else who
might want to take a crack at it.