Trigger Question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Terry Lee Tucker
Subject Trigger Question
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I have a simple question. I have been looking at the HTML docs for Postgres
version: PostgreSQL 7.2.3-RH on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC 2.96. I
need to know if it is necessary to RETURN NULL from a trigger function after
raising an exception with RAISE EXCEPTION. We are doing many different data
validations in a "BEFORE UPDATE OR INSERT" trigger and we have been raising
an exception with an error string such that the error comes back to the
X-Windows applicaton. I read that returning NULL prevents other triggers from
fireing but doesn't RAISE EXCEPTION abort the tranaction and cause all
processing to stop?

Thanks in advance for your help...
--
"The world we have created is a product of our thinking. It cannot be
 changed without changing our thinking."

 --Albert Einstein

 Work: 1-336-372-6812
 Cell: 1-336-363-4719