Re: Queries taking a very long time - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: Queries taking a very long time
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Eric Freeman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using version 7.3.3. I do a lot of modification to some of the
> tables in my database. There's a table that I didn't run vacuum on for a
> while and I ran some big queries on it. It was taking a long time so I
> aborted the query and tried running a vacuum on the table. It ran for
> around 48 hours before I aborted that. I decided to just drop the table
> and re-create it since that seems like it would be the fastest thing.
> It's been running the drop table command for almost 24 hours now. Is
> there any way to speed this process up? Can I go into the data directory
> and delete some files?

Have you checked logs to make sure that its not issuing errors?  Is the
DROP process doing anything?  All DROP TABLE does is rm the appropriate
files on teh file system and update various system tables to remove
references to it ... how big is this file, that its taking >24hrs to
*delete* it from the file system?

----