Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, 27 Dec 2003, Chris Travers wrote:

> 2: Maintaining centralized corporate control over everything in the
> database manager.  This slows their rate of development and we will
> continue to move faster than them.

This could be argued both ways, actually ... their model makes for less
discussions on how to implement things ... they decide to implement it, do
it and commit the code without having to worry about whether anyone else
agrees with it ...

The flip side to this, of course, is the lack of input from other
developers who may (or may not) agree with how it is being implemented ...

> Regarding PHP vs Perl as equivalent to MySQL vs. PostgreSQL, I disagree
> completely.  PHP has a number of design elements which make it idea for
> many types of applications, while Perl's DIFFERENT design concepts make
> it ideal for a different set of applications.  Many of these are
> completely opposite and irreconcilable.  Perl and PHP are just to
> different to compare.  I use both and appreciate both.

I do agree on this one ... I switched over to PHP years back for Web based
apps, since I liked its forms handling (always hated using the CGI modules
for perl) ... but, for straight utilities, perl or shell is still my
favorite ...

----