Re: [BUGS] 7.1.3 ecpg answered BUT... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Meskes
Subject Re: [BUGS] 7.1.3 ecpg answered BUT...
Date
List pgsql-general
May I aks you why you sent he same topic with different emails to -bugs
and to -general without even giving us a chance to answer? It has not
been a cross-post, so I fail to see the reasoning. Anyway ..

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 09:58:05AM -0700, Lynn.Tilby@asu.edu wrote:
> In more research in this problem I found that if the
> EXEC SQL OPEN cursor; command was not present that
> ecpg would just comment out the cusrsor declare statements.

No, this is not correct. ecpg ALWAYS just comments out the cursor
declare statement.

> Might I make a suggestion that the software designers
> make a rule to give some kind of notice at compile time
> (rather than only an error upon execution, which takes
> up a lot of peoples time ;) when situations like this
> are present.  If this problem has already been resolved

You are free to declare cursors as many as you like. The standard
clearly says that a cursor is created with an open call, so you surely
have to use open somewhere to use your cursor.

However, it certainly is no bug if you declare a cursor that is not
used.

Interestingly though, yours is the first complaint about this unless I
forgot all the others.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes