Re: PostgreSQL speakers needed for OSCON 2004 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From elein
Subject Re: PostgreSQL speakers needed for OSCON 2004
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 09:00:37PM -0800, Joe Conway wrote:
> elein wrote:
> >It would be nice to have some sort of knowledge
> >of which postgres people are speaking.  I am
> >planning on submitting a talk as I did last year.
>
> I'm thinking of doing a tutorial -- something like "Extending PostgreSQL
> with C" -- show/explain (comments/additions welcome):
>  - contrib build system basics
>  - building a simple scalar function
>  - I/O functions and a building custom datatype
>  - simple polymorphic scalar functions
>  - SRF using the one-row-at-a-time api
>  - SRF using a tuplestore

This was the tutorial I submitted last year that was rejected.
Perhaps we will all have better luck this year.
Add the explanation of the many macros.  They and
the internal represenations of data types (varlenas :-)
are not familiar or obvious to others.  (I'll go
through my notes for other ideas.)

> I think it would be nice if we had a tutorial or session on advanced use
>  of each PL -- at least for the most commonly used ones.
>
> >It would help us coordinate the BOF better.
> >We did not do a good job last year.  It would
> >also help us talk about some of the things that
> >could be better this year than last.  I have some
> >(ahem) opinions about this.
>
> Great -- let's hear 'em ;-)

In the next message...