Re: tuning questions - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: tuning questions
Date
List pgsql-performance
Jack,

> The frustrating thing is, we also have a UP P3-500 with 512M RAM and two
> IDE drives with the same PG install which is doing okay with this load
> -- still half the speed of MS-SQL2K, but usable. I'm at a loss.

Overall, I'm really getting the feeling that this procedure was optimized for
Oracle and/or MSSQL and is hitting some things that aren't such a good idea
for PostgreSQL.   I highly suggest that you try using log_duration and
log_statement (and in 7.4 log_min_duration_statement) to try to locate which
particular statements are taking the longest.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions