Re: Tables form dbase - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Ennio-Sr
Subject Re: Tables form dbase
Date
List pgsql-novice
* Mester J?zsef <mesterjoco@yahoo.co.uk> [031203, 09:43]:
> Hy
>
> I am new in postgre.
> I would like to import tables from DBase to PostgreSql
> 7.3.2 .
> Please help me.

I did that some time ago so I can't be very precise ;-)
Basically, you have to create a 'delimited with' *.txt file from your
dbase application. Then create a file in postgres having the same
structure of the original *.dbf plus foo fields between the real ones so
that they can be filled with the delimiters used.
As an example, if your original file has:
col1, col2, col3
the corresponding provisional-file in pg should have
col1, foo1, col2, foo2, col3, foo3
Once you have imported dbf-delimited.txt into provisional-file you can
drop the foo columns.

Have a look at PostgresQL Documentation, where you can find links to
some valuable books (readable on line), such as Bruce Momjan's and a few
others.

Hope this might help somehow.
Bye,
    Ennio

--
[Perche' usare Win$ozz (dico io) se ..."anche uno sciocco sa farlo.     \\?//
 Fa' qualche cosa di cui non sei capace!"   (diceva Henry Miller) ]     (°|°)