pg_dump and schemas - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From ow
Subject pg_dump and schemas
Date
List pgsql-admin
pgSql 7.4.0

Hi,

Suppose, there are two (2) schemas in the database: schemaA and schemaB.
schemaA is relatively small and updated all the time, schemaB is huge and
updated occasionally, maybe several times a day. The whole database, with
schemaA and schemaB, is dumped once a week, say Sunday, and schemaA is also
dumped every night. The whole db cannot be backed up every night due to lack of
time.

Say, on Thursday, it was determined that db is corrupt and we need to restore
it from backups. We'll take Sunday's dump of the whole database and then try to
apply Wednesday's dump of schemaA to it. I guess we'll also need Wednesday's
pg_catalog schema dump?

I wonder if the above approach will lead to problems since the state of schemaB
is from Sunday but schemaA and, most importantly, pg_catalog schema, is from
Wednesday. schemaB may have been updated between Sunday and Wednesday.

Any ideas? Thanks