Re: Good open source mailing list system PHP / Postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Good open source mailing list system PHP / Postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 12:42:39PM -0800, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> scott> This is simply not true.  PHP comes in both a web ready
> scott> embedded version, as well as a CLI version, and is quite
> scott> capable, even of handling things like streams and such, and can
> scott> even be used to write a daemon listening on a port quite
> scott> easily.
>
> But PHP is where Perl was five years ago, and continually plays
> catchup.  If you want real work done, use the right tool.  PHP is fine
> for nifty web pages for smallish sites, but Perl takes over when the
> real heavy lifting is needed.

Someone pointed out on this list some time ago that you can work around
the performance issue of starting a Perl interpreter and the compiling
phase by using PersistentPerl.  I have been using it since for smallish
things and kinda like it but have not really had the chance to test it
extensively.  Apparently it can keep persistent connections reasonably
well, for example (though some cruft on sub END is apparently needed ...)

What's your opinion on the thing?  Have you used it with PostgreSQL?
Persistent DBI connections and such?  Maybe you could write an article
on the subject? :-)

(Maybe this belongs to a Perl list, but I'm on none ... any suggestion
of a better place?)

"There was no reply" (Kernel Traffic)