Re: initdb, could not locate postgres executable - Mailing list pgsql-cygwin

From Jason Tishler
Subject Re: initdb, could not locate postgres executable
Date
List pgsql-cygwin
On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 12:28:40PM -0500, Daniel Convissor wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 11:59:57AM +0300, Grigoriy Puzankin wrote:
> ... snip ...
> > creating configuration files... ok
> > creating template1 database in /cygdrive/d/pgsql.data/base/1... ok
> > initializing pg_shadow... FATAL: /usr/bin/postgres: could not locate postgres executable
>
> [snip]
>
> This is explained in the ms faq page patch I mailed to the list the
> other day.

It is also explained in the README that is part of the pre-built Cygwin
PostgreSQL package.  Specifically, the following:

    4. Cygwin PostgreSQL can fail to start or not function properly if
    certain files and directories have incorrect permissions.  The
    following usually solves these kinds of problems:

        $ chmod a+rwx /tmp
        $ chmod a+rx /usr/bin /usr/bin/*
        $ chmod a+rw /var/log # could adversely affect other daemons

Jason