Re: fork/exec - Mailing list pgsql-hackers-win32

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: fork/exec
Date
List pgsql-hackers-win32
Claudio Natoli wrote:
> One slight circular problem with that. Currently, ShmemInitStruct waits on a
> lock (ShmemIndexLock), locks require the MyProc structure (set by
> InitProcess), and InitProcess needs access to... a bunch of shared memory
> structs :-)
>
> Would it be possible to re-jig ShmemInitStruct to not require locking (at
> least for backend initialization)? Other ideas?

At the time the postmaster is to populate that area, there is on one
else running, so you don't need locking, and the backends are going to
only be reading that area, so I don't think they need a lock.  Of
course, you might need to put all that stuff at the start of shared
memory so the backends know where to find it.