Re: Postgresql on file system EXT2 or EXT3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Postgresql on file system EXT2 or EXT3
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 02:46:50PM -0800, Mike Benoit wrote:
> I would be very interested in seeing actual PGBENCH results with
> databases on the different file systems, thats the only way you will
> know for sure which file system is best for the task.

I suspect because of the nature of its workload, in my experience
pg_bench is lousy for measuring filesystem performance: it always
bottlenecks somewhere else.

Chris Browne did some work for us some time ago evaluating XFS, JFS,
and ext3, and concluded that JFS was the best under a high-update
load; that workload was selected precisely because it was I/O bound.
I thought he sent the results to the -performance list, but I can't
put my hands on the email right now.  Chris?

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110