Re: Postgresql on file system EXT2 or EXT3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Postgresql on file system EXT2 or EXT3
Date
List pgsql-general
Ben-Nes Michael wrote:
> Don't go on EXT2, its not reliable and takes lots of time to start after an
> unclean shutdown. ( all the other explained it quite well )
>
> The most promising FS is Reiserfs v4
> http://www.namesys.com/v4/v4.html
>
> If you cant wait I suggest XFS or JFS.

We have gotten documented reports that JFS is fastest, followed closely
by XFS, and Reiser (fast but consumes more CPU), and finally ext3.

While several folks have trumpeted the fast fsck for these journalling
file systems, their _big_ advantage is robust recovery after a crash,
which ext2 can not guarantee.