Re: Testing - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: Testing
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Friday 28 November 2003 19:11, Jussi Mikkola wrote:
> Okay. The tests. Is it so, that if I make a new feature, I also make a
> test for it? What if that new feature runs without errors, but is very

Yes. New tests are to be developed.

> slow, uses plenty of memory etc. ? Can it leak memory? Is there a test
> for all new features? What happens, if there is no test for a feature?
> Is there a link from a bug to change tests?

No. Postgresql does not have any bug tracking system and that kind of
tracability. It is a TODO ATM.

> Usually it is not just luck, that a product works. But I would like to
> tell, that there is a reason, and that also the future releases are very
> reliable ;-) Certainly, I would not like to tell, that as a user, you
> are the tester... But of course, it is different, if we say, that as a
> user, you have the ability to test the software, and verify that it
> works properly ;-)

Well, that's the way open source works. User is tester, user is developer if
he offers work and user is support person as well because he knows by
experience what works and why etc.

 Shridhar