Re: Functions with COPY - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Functions with COPY
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Bruno Wolff III (bruno@wolff.to) wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 09:15:20 -0500,
>   Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> >   I don't believe it's possible, currently, to correctly import this
> >   data with copy.  I'm not sure the date fields would even be accepted
> >   as date fields.  It'd be nice if this could be made to work.  From a
> >   user standpoint consider:
>
> You can write a filter program that reads the data and passes it off
> to copy. Perl works pretty well for this.

I already did, but it's basically a poor duplication of what the
Postgres functions listed already do.  Not what I'd consider the best
scenario.  Additionally, overall I'd expect it to be less work to have
the conversion from text->data type done once and correctly instead of
run through a filter program to 'clean it up' for Postgres and then also
run through functions in Postgres (casts at least) to convert it.
Stephen